Thursday, January 18, 2018

Familiar and Friend

Welcome back to Lost Coast Portal to Creativity where Lost Coast Designs and Carmen's Veranda collide to bring you twice the inspiration and double the fun!

Hello.  Gail here today with an ATC featuring the gorgeous Owlynn stamp.  I always like to do something a little special to share with you and when my first version of this was finished I must admit I wasn't happy.  So I slept on it, and I decided it wasn't that bad after all when I looked at it again in the cool light of the day.  We have snow today so the light is very cool and very bright!  Part of the problem was that I had decided to emboss using gold embossing powder.  I don't have fine gold powder, so not all of the details were perfect, and the gold also doesn't give such a nice contrast with the colours.  So I redid it with black fine powder and this is the result.

Sometimes it's nice to just let the stamp speak for itself.  This is such a detailed image that I just stamped, embossed and coloured.  It's just slightly bigger than an ATC so it perfectly filled my canvas once I cut it to size.

Here's a picture of my partly coloured image.  Now, I am not very good at colouring.  There are people who take hours and hours on shading and blending and such, but I don't have the skill or the patience.  I used to avoid images like this as too detailed for me, but I have discovered it is very therapeutic to colour.  I suppose that's why adult colouring books took off, but as a stamper we already have access to images.  Just stamp and colour.  That said, Lost Coast Design also have a colouring book with some very fun pages combining many of their stamps LOL.  Anyway, I am just picking out the elements and adding colour using sharpies, Promarkers and distress inks.  Mix and match!  That's me!!!  Went a bit crazy face paint, but I quite like the rebel look.
Here's what I meant about the gold versus the black embossing.  I used sightly darker colours on the black one for the owl and her face paint, but otherwise they are the same.  They look much more intense against the black lines, although I think my yellow flowers were better first time around. And oops, missed a bit of her dress and where did that leaf come from..........
I finished by stamping and embossing the Carmen's Veranda Best Friends sentiment.  I meant to do that before I coloured, in case it all went horribly wrong, but luckily it went OK.  I have used this image on an ATC before, but last time I had the owl as the focus and switched things around a bit.  If you would like to see that one you can find it HERE.

Thanks for visiting.  I hope I have inspired you to get out your woman themed stamps and join our challenge.  You have until the end of the month and someone will be the lucky winner of some Lost Coast dollars.  Hugz

1 comment:

Sue said...

I really like this one Gail, especially the black embossed one. I think your colourings fab, but I know what you mean - I don't have the patience (and certainly not the knowledge) for all the light and shading. Fortunately I don't have the eyesight either, so everything looks ok to me :-) xx