Monday, April 22, 2019

On Wings She Flies, Card by Dot

Welcome back to Lost Coast Portal to Creativity where Lost Coast Designs and Carmen's Veranda collide to bring you twice the inspiration and double the fun!

Welcome back!
I hope everyone has had a fantastic Easter and enjoyed
lots of chocolate.

The On Wings She Flies challenge is still on until the end of this month
so there is plenty of time for you to enter.
You can enter here or over in our facebook group.


This is a one layer card that uses the Winged Girl NS, Daisy Flourish and Arches and Door stamps.
One layer cards using masking is one of my favourite things to do.

Here is how this one came together:

Step 1: Stamp the gorgeous Winged Girl onto some photo copy paper and cut her out. This will be a mask, so it is important to cut her out a couple of millimeters in from the edge of the stamped image. This prevents a shadow around your stamped image when you add the background.

Step 2: Stamp the Winged Girl onto your card. I used archival ink for this. Dry well and place the mask over her. You should see an outline of the underneath image all the way around.

Step 3: Ink up the Arches and Door stamp. I used Rose Madder archival ink, coffee espresso DO and Versafine black ink.  The rose madder is a beautiful pink and I thought the brown ink would go with the pink nicely.  The Versafine is a rich black which is what I wanted as a border. This stamp is placed on your craft sheet without any acrylic block underneath.

Step 4: Place your card onto the inked up stamp. After a fair bit of experimenting, I decided that she looked best when she was over to one side.  This means that part of her is in the doorway. So, bear this in mind when you are placing your card onto the stamp.

Step 5: Being careful, gently rub over the card with your fingers. It's a little like doing a print. I like to keep one hand on the card at all times so that it doesn't move. I did it this way because when I tried to stamp straight onto the card I ended up with shadow effects around the image, no matter how many times to tried to do it.  Doing it in reverse gave me a much better stamped image.  This is due to the Arches and Door being quite a large and detailed stamp. Trim your card down.

Step 6: Leaving the mask in place, randomly stamp some of the Daisy Flourish.  Less is more (yes, I discovered this through trial and error too lol).

Step 7: To make the Daisy Flourish pop a little I've used a white gel pen to add some sketchy detail.  I love how the white gel pen picked up a little of the brown DO and gave a toned effect. It looks so natural. It was a lovely surprise.  It also hides of all the lines from the Arches and Door stamp. I like to use Tea Dye distress ink for skin tones. I just add a little to a craft sheet and spritz with water.  Using a fine brush I can then play with light and shade.  Distress ink is good to use as if you are too heavy with the colour it can be easily removed with a little water.

Step 8: Mat and layer your card onto some card. 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
It is a little fiddly, but it is worth having a go.

Variations:
Change the colours.
Change the focal image.
Add some words.

Happy Stamping 
Dot x


No comments: