Saturday, June 12, 2021

Gnome Dreams in Cork

Welcome back to Lost Coast Portal to Creativity where Lost Coast Designs and Carmen's Veranda collide to bring you twice the inspiration and double the fun!
 
Hello Portal Peeps.  Gail here today.  The team is having fun stamping on unusual surfaces this fortnight for out Save the Trees challenge.  We want to see projects with stamping on something other than normal paper or card.   Loads of fabulous ideas being shared by the team so scroll down and check out all the awesome makes.  But first......
 

I decided to try stamping on some cork sheets.  I've used Lost Coast Designs Coffee Gnome and Dictionary Words.

I used 3mm thick placemats that I bought at IKEA to back ceramic coasters.  It's quite coarse grained, and you can buy thinner finer grained sheets, but this is what I had.....  I stamped the dictionary words and embossed with black powder.  The cork is quite absorbent so I found it helpful to stamp twice with black archival, then with Versamark before embossing.  Obviously a stamping platform or positioning tool is helpful with this.

 
I was pleased with how well the details embossed.  You can easily read the large words and see that the smaller ones are words, but not so readable.  I cut the words out using scissors and ran a black promarker around the edges.  I think these are quite cool!

 
Flushed by my success I decided to try a gnome!!  Pretty good, but fussy cutting wasn't as easy as with paper.  The cork cut easily but the coarse grains tended to be a bit friable.  As I said, thinner and finer grained cork sheets are available.  But he's pretty cool and I love that he easily coloured with Promarkers.  The embossed lines prevent colour bleed.  I used a white gel pen on his beard.

I decided to add the gnome and the Dream panel to a die cut patterned card panel and made a card.  I cut the gnome's stump away so he could sit on the edge of the sentiment.

This is such a fun challenge theme and I am really enjoying seeing all the different substrates people are stamping on.  Join the fun.  Linky closes 14th June 23.59PST


 

1 comment:

Riet Harikini said...

Hi Gail, what a fabulous idea. I love it.